Hola chicas & cheers to the weekend! I have been pondering with the idea of posting about fitness for a while now and decided I would take the plunge today and dive right in. So I’m NO expert but I can say I have maintained about 30 pound weight loss (I am still searching for pics but I avoided many cameras during this time) since my junior year in college (about 8 years - geez I feel old now lol). While I work out a lot I can say nutrition is KEY for a healthy lifestyle.
So here are a few nutrition tips cause you ARE what you EAT:
- Eat within the hour of waking up, breakfast kick starts the metabolism for the day and snack about every 3 hours it keeps you burning calories.
- Portion size is key some easy rules of measurement – half the plate should be veggies
- Eat clean – try to avoid processed foods! They are packed with sodium, sugars and other mystery items
- Swap out white for brown – I don’t eat too many carbs but eat whole wheat pasta or bread. Try baking with wheat flour or even almond flour if you are hardcore paleo.
- SUGAR is EVIL! I LOOOOOOOVE sweets but opt for pineapples or other fruits. If you want to bake something yummy opt for stevia or agave nectar
- Load up on WATER – no calories and many times when you ‘feel’ hungry you are really thirsty. Hydration is key and it helps your skin
- You got to LIVE so it’s ok to cheat in moderation….once a week have a small dessert, slice of pizza or whatever you want. Thing about the ‘cheat’ day or meal is once you have been eating clean eating junk will make you SICK.
I just wanted to share a few tips as I get older I can really tell the difference with nutrition. I’m pretty active but consistent good eating habits make for better results in the gym your body just needs the right fuel.